Hanson Canada is an educational institution that delivers secondary, post-secondary and language training programs to international students. There are four campuses located in Toronto (Eglinton), Toronto (North York) and Brampton, Ontario and New Westminster, BC. We value innovation, creativity and collaboration and we believe in our brand: Hanson Canada.
Hanson Canada is looking for a Director of Academics to work at the New Westminster Campus.
The Director of Academics is responsible for overseeing the performance of all academic staff including faculty, academic operations, and advising. Furthermore, this position is accountable for advancing and implementing curriculum aimed at enhancing the professional profile of BC academic programs and increasing infrastructure and intellectual capacity of the institution.
Under the direction of the Vice President, BC Colleges the Director is responsible for the educational leadership and operation of the academic department. As such, the Director has primary responsibility for maintaining excellence in the department, taking appropriate, timely action to foster the highest possible standards of teaching, scholarship, service, and student advising. The Director of Academics also provides focus and direction to ensure the quality of the department’s program(s) with responsibilities for leading the department in matters of curriculum, planning, assessment, and student affairs. The Director coordinates and supports the personal and professional talents of the department members and assists them in functioning as an effective team.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- General Administration
- Reviews policies and protocols and ensures compliance
- Under the direction of the Vice president Academics addresses complaints and conducts investigations as required
- Participates in promotional and marketing opportunities involving the academic department
- Leads the development and maintenance of departmental standards of service
- Under the direction of the Vice President Academics, leads specific aspects of the budget development process
- Authorizes department expenditures to the prescribed limit
2. Program Administration and Student Success
- Provides leadership for the variety of academic programs under the “Quest for Excellence in Recruitment, Retention, Results and Reputation” strategy
- Is accountable for a quality of delivery of the existing programs (Tourism and Hospitality Diplomas) and proposed programs (Bachelor’s Degree in Tourism and Hospitality Management; Associate Degree – Environmental Economics)
- Under the direction of the Vice President, ensures quality standards for existing program reviews and curriculum development of new programming
- Under the direction of the Vice President, leads accreditation and curriculum review process for all BC academic credentials
- In collaboration with a Registrar ensures all BC programs fit within appropriate articulation, laddering, and transition frameworks
- In collaboration with Registrar, addresses matter on enrollments, student and program requirements, transfer credit, graduation matters, etc.
- Is the first point of contact for non-routine student academic-related issues and concerns, resolving when possible, referring to the Vice President or other resources when appropriate
- Works with the College’s other departments, human resources, campus faculty, PAC and others to build outreach programs in tourism and hospitality, environmental economics and all other programs under development
- Disseminates information about tourism, active tourism and related topics to diverse audiences including public agencies, travel organizations, researchers, lay audiences and others, using a variety of teaching techniques and delivery methods
- Ensures provision for academic advice and guidance to prospective and current students
- Facilitates and attempts to resolve student complaints and student conduct issues including referring students for appropriate information services
- Ensures student orientation sessions are conducted
- Ensures student progress is monitored from intake to graduation
- Coordinates all requests for transfers, PLAs
- Is responsible for supporting Program Chairs; aid Program Chairs with reviewing appropriate professional development sessions that are conducted on a semester basis
3. Human Resources Management (Faculty and Staff)
- Under the direction of the Vice President manages the faculty performance review process
- Evaluates and approves learning and Professional Development plans for Faculty and Staff
- Oversees scheduling, workload and instructional hours of faculty
- Encourages and supports development opportunities for faculty and staff.
- Track the schedule of faculty for payroll purposes
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at a post-secondary enviroment
- Experience in curriculum development in the following academic disciplines: Tourism Leadership, Hospitality Management, Eco – Tourism, Sustainable Resort Management and Associate Degrees
- Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching in community settings, ability to work as a team member to build collaborative atmosphere
- Experience in supervising staff and faculty within the academic setting
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with community groups
- Experience and qualification in active tourism, guiding is desirable
- Master’s degree required in Education Administration, Curriculum and Instruction or related field
- Minimal 5 year of experience in education and education administration or relevant experience
- 3-5 years as an Instructor in a private educational sector is an asset
- 3+ years in management position
- Experience in working with international students is preferred
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
Hanson Canada supports requests for accommodation from applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you require an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Department to make the arrangement. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or any other legally-protected factors.
Please be advised only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.